Dentures: A Comprehensive Guide to Restoring Your Smile and Function
Did you know that Manitoba has the second-highest number of dental visits per capita among Canadian provinces, with an average of 2.6 visits per person? It’s clear that Manitobans take their dental health seriously, and for those who have lost their natural teeth, advances in dentistry have made it possible to restore their smiles and function with dentures.
If you’re considering dentures, it’s important to understand what they are, the different types available, how they are made, and how a dentist Selkirk can help you care for them. This comprehensive guide will provide you with all the information you need to make an informed decision about dentures.
What Are Dentures?
They are removable appliances designed to replace missing teeth and restore your smile and function. They are typically made of acrylic resin and are custom-made to fit your mouth comfortably and securely.
There are several different types available, depending on the patient’s needs.
- Full Dentures: Full dentures are designed to replace all teeth in the upper or lower jaw. They are held in place with suction and can be removed for cleaning and maintenance.
- Partial: Partial dentures are designed to replace one or more missing teeth and are held in place with clasps that attach to the remaining natural teeth.
- Implant-Supported: Implant-supported dentures are secured in place with dental implants that are surgically placed into the jawbone. This type of denture is more stable and comfortable than traditional dentures and can improve function and appearance.
The Denture-Making Process
The process typically involves several appointments with your dentist.
- Initial Consultation: During the initial consultation, your dentist will assess your oral health and determine if dentures are the right choice.
- Impressions: A dentist takes impressions of your mouth to create a custom mold of your teeth and gums.
- Wax Try-In: Your dentist will create a wax model of your dentures to try on and make any necessary adjustments.
- Final Fitting: Once the dentures are complete, your dentist will make any final adjustments to ensure a comfortable and secure fit.
Proper care of your dentures is essential to ensure they last as long as possible and remain comfortable. Here are the tips for caring for your dentures.
- Clean Them Daily: Brush your dentures with a soft-bristled brush and a mild cleanser to remove food particles and bacteria toonily.
- Soak Them Overnight: Soak them in water or a cleaning solution overnight to keep them moist and clean.
- Handle Them With Care: Dentures can be fragile, so handle them carefully to avoid cracking or breaking.
- Visit Your Dentist Regularly: Regular dental check-ups are essential to ensure your dentures are still fitting correctly and check for any signs of oral health problems.
Dentures are an effective and affordable way to restore your smile and function after losing your natural teeth. Getting dentures typically involves several appointments with a dentist in Selkirk, and proper care is essential to ensure they last as long as possible. You can choose from various types of dentures, including implant-supported dentures. If you’re considering dentures, discuss your options with your dental expert to determine the best treatment for your needs.